Anthony Joshua will have the chance to claim back his IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight belts after his promoter Eddie Hearn confirmed a rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr will take place in November or December.
Joshua suffered a surprise defeat to the Mexican in New York at the weekend, which saw the fight stopped in the seventh round but the terms of their fight agreement contained a rematch clause.
And Hearn confirmed that clause has been triggered following a meeting between AJ, his coach Rob McCracken and the management team.
Hearn tweeted: “After meetings with AJ, Rob Mc and the management team in NY, we have today triggered the contracted rematch clause with Andy Ruiz Jnr.
“The fight will take place in Nov/Dec at a venue to be confirmed shortly.”
The location of the fight has yet to be announced but it is thought it will take place in the UK.
Joshua, 29, was sent to the canvas four times as Ruiz produced one of the biggest shocks in boxing history to win in seven rounds at Madison Square Garden.
The Brit had a concussion test after the first defeat of his 23-fight career.
Ruiz took the fight at short notice after Joshua’s original opponent Jarrell Miller failed drug tests. Ruiz has previously said he will take a rematch at any time.
Following his shock loss, Joshua insisted he has ambitions to fight Tyson Fury and WBC world champion Deontay Wilder.
Joshua said: “I still want to compete with those men but a rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr is where we are at.
“I’m still a champ and I will rectify it to get the belts back.”
Speaking to talkSPORT earlier in the week, Hearn vowed his man will come back stronger and rubbished rumours he had gone into the fight ill-prepared.
He said: “I’d like to tell you he [AJ] had a terrible camp, he wasn’t focused, but I didn’t see that. He worked very hard in training as he always does.
“I just think he got hit by a shot around the back of the ear and he never recovered. He paid the price for being sloppy…
“I think it was a huge shock for everybody, AJ was probably the calmest person of everybody.
“I even said to him today, ‘People said you didn’t look right.’
“[He replied], ‘I was fine, I just got beat, I just got beat by the better man on the night, I got hit by a shot that I didn’t recover from and that’s it. Let’s go again, back to work.’
“He’s only had 40 amateur fights and 22 pro fights going into Saturday and now he’s defending heavyweight titles at MSG.
“Sometimes he doesn’t have the experience others do and sometimes you can pay the price.”