The former WBC champion wants the ‘Body Snatcher’ to get a shot at his old belt
Frank Bruno believes defeat to Andy Ruiz Jr will provide a serious test of Anthony Joshua’s character in the coming months.
Britain’s unified heavyweight king was dethroned by the Mexican-American underdog in one of the biggest upsets in recent boxing history at the beginning of the month, and is now planning his comeback.
Promoter Eddie Hearn has already revealed that a rematch clause has been activated to prompt a second bout between the pair, which is expected to take place in November.
Reacting to the shock result, Bruno told Sky: “Nobody thought he would’ve got beaten the way he was rolling.
“But sometimes in life you’ve gotta lost to appreciate when you win.
“Some people when they lose, the confidence goes, they get gun-shy and get lethargic and get depressed.
“We’ll see what sort of character he is. I don’t wish him no bad luck because he’s good for British boxing.”
Elsewhere in the heavyweight division, WBC champion Deontay Wilder has lined up fights against Luis Ortiz and Tyson Fury for his upcoming defences.
Meanwhile, Dillian Whyte remains in waiting, though his next outing against Oscar Rivas on July 20 looks set to be for the WBC ‘interim’ title and mandatory position for Wilder.
Bruno, who previously held the WBC belt himself, said of Whyte: “His next opponent is a serious, serious guy.
“But everyone’s been ducking him and I think, once he gets past that, I think the WBC has got to give him what he deserves.”
Back in 2015, Joshua and Whyte met in British title clash with AJ winning by seventh-round knockout.
Asked about a potential rematch between the pair, Bruno concluded: “Dillian’s improved since the last time they fought.
“He’s not so aggressive – when I mean aggressive, he’s planning it, he’s improving.
“The jab, he’s feinting and throwing all different combinations. So it’d be a very, very good fight.”