Wear the Liver bird with pride, but don’t ‘show off’.
That’s the advice Italian football journalist Tancredi Palmeri has offered to Liverpool fans heading to Naples for their Champions League game.
The reigning European champions get their title defence underway at the newly constructed San Paolo Stadium on Tuesday night, in a repeat of the fixture in which Jurgen Klopp’s men lost 1-0 last season.
And ahead of the match, travelling Reds supporters have been given a number of warnings about how to avoid trouble in Naples.
Scousers on tour have been advised not to wear club colours in the city and also not to use public transport to travel to the ground.
Following the do’s and don’ts statement from Liverpool, Napoli boss Carlo Ancelotti defended the ‘beautiful’ city despite it’s poor reputation when football fans come to visit.
And Palmeri says Reds fans should not be fearful of their safety in Naples, although advises against any poor behaviour during their trip.
Speaking to talkSPORT host Jim White, he said: “These warnings are a bit too much considering the real concerns, but at the same time what happened in the past is giving a reason for giving these warnings.
“Liverpool fans should be careful, but they shouldn’t feel segregated.
LIVE on talkSPORT
Check out all the live commentaries coming up across the talkSPORT network this week
- Napoli vs Liverpool (Tuesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Borussia Dortmund vs Barcelona (Tuesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Olympiakos vs Tottenham (Wednesday, 5:55pm) – talkSPORT
- Shakhtar Donetsk vs Man City (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- PSG vs Real Madrid (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Eintracht Frankfurt vs Arsenal (Thursday, 5:55pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Leicester vs Tottenham (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Leeds vs Derby (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Everton vs Sheffield United (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Newcastle vs Brighton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- West Brom vs Huddersfield (Sunday, 12pm) – talkSPORT 2
“It means they shouldn’t show off too much. You can wear your Liverpool symbols but it would be a bitter to do it only in touristic places and when they move to the stadium it’s better to use a taxi.
“All in all, it’s better not to show off.”