The absence of Aymeric Laporte in Manchester City’s backline is the equivalent of Liverpool losing Virgil van Dijk, according to Jamie Redknapp.
The Premier League champions have since confirmed Laporte has had successful surgery to repair the damage to his cartilage and lateral meniscus.
On Saturday City were stunned by Norwich, losing 3-2 at Carrow Road and their defence was worryingly exposed on several occasions, notably Nicolas Otamendi, who was caught in possession in his own area which led to Teemu Pukki scoring the decisive goal.
With Liverpool leading the way, five points clear of City, former Reds midfielder Redknapp believes the pendulum has swung in favour of the Champions League winners.
“City are wounded. They have lost Aymeric Laporte, and that is the equivalent of taking Virgil van Dijk out of the Liverpool team,” he told the Daily Mail.
“I was at Carrow Road on Saturday to see City line up for the first time since Laporte suffered his unfortunate injury and their defensive frailties were exposed. Sunday League players would be embarrassed to make the same mistakes Nicolas Otamendi made against Norwich.
“For Liverpool, everything seems to be falling into place. They will not read too much into a five-point lead in mid-September but it feels like the momentum has shifted.”
LIVE on talkSPORT
Check out all the live commentaries coming up across the talkSPORT network this week
- Napoli vs Liverpool (Tuesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Borussia Dortmund vs Barcelona (Tuesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Olympiakos vs Tottenham (Wednesday, 5:55pm) – talkSPORT
- Shakhtar Donetsk vs Man City (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- PSG vs Real Madrid (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Eintracht Frankfurt vs Arsenal (Thursday, 5:55pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Leicester vs Tottenham (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Leeds vs Derby (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Everton vs Sheffield United (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Newcastle vs Brighton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- West Brom vs Huddersfield (Sunday, 12pm) – talkSPORT 2
City’s next match is in the Champions League when they travel to Donetsk to play Shakhtar, which is live on talkSPORT on 18 September.
It is the third successive season the two clubs have been pitted against each other in the group stage.
City won 3-0 in their last meeting and Laporte was on the scoresheet, along with David Silva and Bernardo Silva.