Liverpool’s chief executive stayed at hospital with a Reds fan allegedly ‘ambushed’ before Tuesday’s Champions League defeat by Napoli.
Peter Moore confirmed on social media he had visited the supporter in hospital and ‘will not leave him until we are comfortable he’s fine’.
The unnamed fan was reportedly assaulted at a bar in Naples at 6pm local time, Merseyside Police say.
He was taken to hospital at half-time of the match due to ‘significant blood loss’, according to the BBC.
A second Liverpool supporter was allegedly attacked at the same time.
Moore, who was appointed Liverpool CEO in February 2017, later wrote on social media: “I’m at the hospital with him right now. We will not leave him until we are comfortable that he’s fine.”
The former EA Sports COO added: “The hospital staff and the police have now helped Steven and have been very cooperative. He’s been seen and will be monitored throughout the night. He asked me to thank everyone for their concern.”
LIVE on talkSPORT
Check out all the live commentaries coming up across the talkSPORT network this week
- Olympiakos vs Tottenham (Wednesday, 5:55pm) – talkSPORT
- Shakhtar Donetsk vs Man City (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- PSG vs Real Madrid (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Eintracht Frankfurt vs Arsenal (Thursday, 5:55pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Leicester vs Tottenham (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Leeds vs Derby (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Everton vs Sheffield United (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Newcastle vs Brighton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- West Brom vs Huddersfield (Sunday, 12pm) – talkSPORT 2
Liverpool lost in Naples to suffer defeat in their Champions League opener, with Dries Mertens and Fernando Llorente both scoring in the final 10 minutes to fire the hosts to victory.