Thibaut Courtois was hauled off at half-time against Club Brugge due to illness, Real Madrid have confirmed.
The Spanish giants were 2-0 down after 39 minutes at home in their Champions League clash thanks to an Emmanuel Bonaventure brace.
Alphonse Areola replaced Courtois at the break as Zinedine Zidane’s side salvaged a draw with goals from Sergio Ramos and Casemiro.
And Real Madrid boss Zidane revealed his decision to substitute the Belgium international was enforced.
He said: “Courtois wasn’t well and couldn’t continue. I’m not at all worried about Thibaut’s form or anything else.
“The only thing I’m interested in is doing things well, like we did in the second-half. We could blame Thibaut, but we are all involved, me more than anyone.”
LIVE on talkSPORT
Check out all the live commentaries coming up across the talkSPORT network this week
- Lille vs Chelsea (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Charlton vs Swansea (Wednesday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- AZ Alkmaar vs Man United (Thursday, 5:55pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Birmingham vs Middlesbrough (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Brighton vs Tottenham (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Fulham vs Charlton (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Burnley vs Everton (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- West Ham vs Crystal Palace (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
Since swapping Chelsea for Madrid last summer, Courtois has conceded a staggering 81 goals in 58 games.
The draw with Club Brugge leaves Real Madrid winless in their opening two Champions League games of the season.
Zidane added: “It’s a bad result, but the reaction was good. I can’t be happy with the first-half.
“We’ve never had a 45 minutes like that, but I’ll take the reaction. At the end of the day I’m not happy with one point – we should have had three – but I’m happy with the reaction.
“You’ve seen the goal we gave away, it was a bit of a joke. It’s not that we started badly but then we didn’t concentrate when the opposition were able to hurt us.
“When they score first they grow in confidence, we fell away a bit and the second goal happened.
“In the end I’d rather think about the second 45. We can’t be happy, but you need to always think about the positive.”