Steve Bruce says he is the ‘wrong person’ to comment on a proposed takeover of Newcastle by former Chelsea and Manchester United chief executive Peter Kenyon.
Kenyon has allegedly launched a bid to buy the Magpies from Mike Ashley, which will see his investment group pay £300million in instalments over the next three years.
He tried to take charge of Newcastle last year as part of a different consortium but failed, as the group was unable to secure the required funds.
Ashley, who is believed to value the club at around £350m, is also said to have held talks with Amanda Staveley and the Bin Zayed Group over the past few years over a possible takeover.
Nonetheless, he remains in charge as of today and now has a fresh bid to consider
Bruce was naturally asked about the reported bid during his pre-match media duties on Friday, and he admitted he had no idea a takeover had been proposed until this morning.
“It’s happened that many times,” said Bruce, “even from reading about it from afar. You’re asking the wrong person.
“You have to get used to it. It’s happened to me three or four times previously. It’s something you get used to.
LIVE on talkSPORT
Check out all the live commentaries coming up across the talkSPORT network this week
- Stoke vs Nottingham Forest (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Sheffield United vs Liverpool (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT
- QPR vs West Bromwich Albion (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Chelsea vs Brighton (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Everton vs Manchester City (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
“At this club, in particular, there’s always speculation surrounding it and it’s never happened. Let’s watch this space.”
Bruce also said he ‘didn’t really’ discuss the ownership situation during talks with Ashley before being appointed Newcastle manager in July, and insists it isn’t really anything to do with him anyway.
“I can’t influence anything like that,” the boss added. “The only thing I can influence is how we play on Sunday. That’s the only thing I can really focus on.”
Bruce also discussed Newcastle’s latest injury news, last week’s performance vs Brighton and the upcoming Leicester clash during his press conference, and you can read the best bits, below…
On Andy Carroll
“We all know what he can do as a footballer – the big thing, of course, is fitness levels. He’s trained all week and, touch wood, there’s not been any problems.”
On last weekend’s draw with Brighton
“We didn’t play well enough with or without the ball. It always concerns you when you don’t play well enough.
“If we’re going to make a fist of it this year, we’re going to have to be better than we were last week.”
On upcoming match vs Leicester
“They’re a good side, and they’ve evolved into a very, very good side over the years. We know if we’re going to get something we’ll have to be at our best.”
On injuries and team news
“Jonjo Shelvey has a problem with a hamstring – he’s out. He’s got a grade two hamstring and that’s a couple of weeks.
“It was in the game last week. He has been hampered with it for a long time, last year too, it’s not 100 per cent right. I do think he’s been playing with it.
“We will now take this opportunity to make sure it’s right.
“Matt Ritchie now weeks into his, and he’s making progress. He’s not too far away.
“Allan [Saint-Maximin] and Andy [Carroll] are okay and Sean Longstaff is okay, he’s trained all week.
“He has had a wonderful rise. Then he’s had a nasty injury. It will be good to see him on Sunday.”