Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp is aiming to lift both the Champions League AND Premier League titles this season, former star Danny Murphy believes.
Klopp will be hoping his side continue their domestic success so far this season in Italy, with Liverpool currently five points clear at the top of the Premier League table.
It’s the biggest points gap any team has had after five games in the English top flight and, given Manchester City’s defensive woes, many are tipping the Merseysiders to finally end their 29-year wait for a league title this term.
Murphy has told talkSPORT anyone who claims the Premier League title race is already over ‘should be put back in the asylum’.
But the former Red agreed Klopp will be looking to build on his side’s brilliant previous campaign and go all the way in both competitions this season.
Asked what he would consider a successful season for the Reds, the former midfielder told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast: “Winning one of the big ones again, that’s success.
“I would argue that the club is progressing so well that it’s not always about the trophy to gauge success. If they got to the Champions League final again but lost, and also came second in the Premier League, that’s still an amazing season in terms of consistency.
“I think Jurgen Klopp at the minute thinks he can win them both.
LIVE on talkSPORT
Check out all the live commentaries coming up across the talkSPORT network this week
- Napoli vs Liverpool (Tuesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Borussia Dortmund vs Barcelona (Tuesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Olympiakos vs Tottenham (Wednesday, 5:55pm) – talkSPORT
- Shakhtar Donetsk vs Man City (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- PSG vs Real Madrid (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Eintracht Frankfurt vs Arsenal (Thursday, 5:55pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Leicester vs Tottenham (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Leeds vs Derby (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Everton vs Sheffield United (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Newcastle vs Brighton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- West Brom vs Huddersfield (Sunday, 12pm) – talkSPORT 2
“He’s got such belief in his squad, and what’s incredible is how he gets them all playing with that intensity.
“He’s doing something so right on the training pitch because they’re all at it, they’re all fighting each other for their places and you don’t get people moaning or players in the press whinging about not playing.”